Friday, February 10

Pumpkin Kozhaviri

If kids do not like any vegetable, probably it is because the parents didn't make them like it. I remember hating pumpkin when I was a kid and someday my grandpa exemplified to me how much on this pumpkin kozhaviri and I suddenly started developing a taste for it. He did not really give any long gyan, after all at the age of 6 such a gyan would have made me to detest the vegetable further; instead he lightly described how beautiful and fresh they are grown in the season and how this particular dish melts in his mouth and not just words but observing him relishing the dish made me give it a try and somehow it started tasting great for me then onward. It sounds crazy, but some frames of childhood are so clear that they stay long lasting; so, it is wiser to make such frames good ones. 

Ingredients:

1. Pumpkin cubed and boiled with salt and turmeric – 2 cups
2. Green chillies – 2 chopped fine
3. Oil
4. Mustard seeds – ¼ spoon
5. Urad dal – 1 spoon
6. Asafoetida – 1 pinch
7. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
8. Tamarind extract – ¼ cup
9. Coriander leaves for garnishing

Method:

Step 1: Temper mustard seeds, urad dal, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida in this order in3 spoons of oil.
Step 2: Add boiled pumpkin and pour some water and slightly mash it with ladle
Step 3: Pour tamarind extract to it and let it boil
Step 4: Garnish with coriander leaves finally
Step 5: Serve with hot steamed rice along with ghee

No comments: