Sunday, February 12

Jeera Rice


When I started packing lunch to my husband after marriage, I think every alternate day he took jeera rice whatever went for side with it. There are two reasons for this; it is easy-peasy and it remains non-sticky until afternoon (I was still learning the proportion of water for rice then). Once when my aunt was here I prepared jeera rice and ‘kollu thovial’ (a typical south Indian chutney); she liked the combination so much that she got them wedded, a proper north Indian and south Indian combo you’d have not heard of.

Ingredients:

1.       Cooked rice – 2 cups
2.       Ghee – 2 tbsp
3.       Onion – 1 (Optional)
4.       Cumin seeds – 1 ½ tsp
5.       Ghee roasted cashewnuts – 1 tbsp (Optional)
6.       Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped
7.       Salt to taste.



Method:
Step 1: Cut the onion into halves and slice them thin.
Step 2: Heat ghee in a non-stick pan, splutter cumin, add onion and sauté in high heat until brown; then add coriander.
Step 3: Immediately add rice, sprinkle enough salt and toss well until they are mixed.
Step 4: Garnish with roasted cashews and serve with gravies or dal.

No comments: